Friday, December 28, 2012

One Dog's Christmas

Holy Santa Paws Batman!!! What a wonderful Christmas this was at my house.  As you can see from the photo, I hit the jackpot this year on toys and I also got a bunch of treats including a BIG box of my favorite cookies!

One of the gifts I got this year that I never got before was an antler. (That's what I am chewing on in the photo).  My Dad is a woodsman so we have moose antlers in our rock garden that he found and some deer antlers too.  But they are for decoration so I never thought they would be okay for dogs to chew.

Boy, was I wrong!  I am so glad Santa Paws brought me an antler for Christmas this year.  They are almost like the marrow bones Dad brings me from the humans' food store, but not quite.  Antlers are great to chew on.  They are good for my teeth and gums and they last forever.  They are made of protein which I understand is a good thing for dogs to eat.  They also come in all sizes so any dog from a tiny Chihuahua to a huge Bernese Mountain dog can have an antler that is just the right size for them.

I found out that good antlers are found all around in woods, just like the moose antlers Dad found that he put in the garden.  The antlers from deer, moose and elk fall off in the fall and if humans find them before the mice and other rodents gnaw them down, they make great chew toys for dogs.

Antlers that are found like that are all natural and the animals are still alive to grow new antlers in the spring.  Since antlers are all natural, there are no dyes or preservatives in them.  They don't chip or splinter when they are new.  And they don't get stinky they way marrow bones can get.  "Stinky" in humans' minds anyway.  I actually like the scent of a "aged" marrow bone.  And a little bit of dirt doesn't hurt the aging process.

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Christmas.  I'd love to know what your favorite Christmas gift was.

Happy New Year,

Your friend,

Zeva

P.S. Shameless self promotion -- for some really awesome pet gifts, check out http://laurelmtbasket.com/index.php/store/category/pet-gifts-and-baskets





No comments:

Post a Comment