Wow! I never thought of it that way but he sure is right.
Humans need a lot of care if they are going to lead healthy, happy lives and dogs can play a big part in making sure they are the healthiest and happiest they can be.
In our family, if it weren’t for me letting Mom and Dad know what time it was, they would probably sleep way past five o’clock in the morning.
1. Dogs help their humans keep physically fit. It’s true that people who have dogs in their lives are much more apt to exercise. Taking them for walks is probably the biggest way we help keep them fit but I know one dog that helps her Dad run. We also make sure that our humans get plenty of sunshine and fresh air by playing games with them outside. Right now DixieLee is helping Dad stay fit filling in the holes she dug.
My friend Sadie takes her Dad hunting pheasants and I’m going to take Dad fishing soon. He says I’m the only Lab he knows who doesn’t like water. I thought going in the water while he was fishing might not be such a good idea so I just like to sniff along the banks and check out the near-by fields.
2. Dogs can help improve a human’s social life. We meet all kinds of people wherever we go. The dog park is the best place to meet new people. If you happen to be as cute a dog as I am, people will come up to say how adorable or whatever and before you know it, we have a new friend.
Some dogs even take their humans to therapy dog school. After they complete the class, they can go to visit schools, libraries and places where older people live.
3. Dogs are good health care providers. Just by petting a dog a human can lower their blood pressure. Dogs can smell stuff 1,000 to 10,000 times better than a human so some dogs are able detect bad things like cancer or let a person know when their blood sugar is low. Other dogs can know when a person with epilepsy is going to have a seizure.
Dogs know how to cuddle just right to make a person not be depressed.
4. Dogs keep people safe. One very important responsibility we dogs have is keeping our humans safe. For example, Mom would never have known there was a squirrel in the back yard just now if DixieLee hadn’t been lying on the bed looking out the window. They would never know when any of our neighbors came home or when the mail came if we didn’t let them know. We can alert them as soon as someone turns onto our street because our hearing is so much better than theirs.
5. Dogs provide companionship. We make the very best friends. We always want to do whatever you want to do. We love unconditionally, are always happy to see you, never criticize your singing, or find your stories boring and we are excellent secret keepers.
Even though they can be trying at times DixieLee and I take good care of our humans because they are worth it.
What job do you do that you think is the most helpful to your humans?
P.S. Blatant self promotion: Every dog deserves to be spoiled rotten so we created our Spoiled Rotten Dog gift basket just for them.