Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Teaching a Not So Old Dog Some New Tricks

Hi! It’s me, DixieLee. Zeva said I could write the blog this week because I have some exciting news.

I am going to school! Yup. Just like the human kids, I am starting school today. Mom and I are going to Basic Dog Obedience class at Paws-a-tive Training in Lancaster.

I am nervous but not scared because I already know my teacher really good. Gail is the nice teacher who came to our house and even took me and Mom for a big walk once. Gail is really nice and she always has lots of treats in her pocket.

Basic Dog Obedience class teaches dogs how to do important things like Sit, Come, Down, Off, Stay and Heel. I’m already sort of good at most of those things but I am going to class so that I can get to be with other dogs and learn how to behave around them.

Since I came to live with my family, I spent most of my time with Mom and Dad and Zeva. I never got to learn how to behave around other dogs. When I see other dogs I jump and bark and pull on my leash. Mom says it makes it very difficult to take me to dog park or for big walks because I don’t pay attention to the walking.

When Zeva came to live with our family, she went to work with Mom every day. She got to meet and play with the other dogs that worked in the same building and went for walks with a dog walker and some other dogs. She even got to go to doggie day care ALL DAY some times so she knows how to act nice around other dogs.

Zeva said I can tell you all about my adventures but that I shouldn’t think that I am going to be taking over the blogging because that is her job and she does it best.

So, wish me luck. I am going to try real hard to be on my best behavior and show all the other dogs how good I do Sit, Come, Down, Off, Stay and Heel. Well Sit and Down anyway.

Talk to you soon,
Love
DixieLee



P.S. Blatant self-promotion. We have the best pet gift baskets anywhere! Check us out at pawpalsboutique.com and see for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, DixieLee (and Zeva)
    How neat that you're going to a real school Meeko, Joshua and I go to pretend school.
    We are preparing for Hurricane Irma here in Florida. It is so scary. Mama worries most about me and Joshua because we hide when it storms. I do have calming treats, but sometimes they don't work fast enough.
    I Hope you enjoy your class and get great grades, DixieLee.
    This is going to be Mama's first hurricane. She's seen tornados and an earthquake.
    Have a great day. Love to you and Zeva and your mama.
    Love, Jasper

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, tell your Mama that we pray that she and your family are safe and that the hurricane does not hurt your house. If they tell you to run away, you can come and live with us. We are high in the mountains and no floods can get you here.
    We get calming treats too and you are right, some times they don't work fast enough.
    DixieLee flunked Basic Obedience class. She was sooooo naughty that Mom took her home before the class even started. She is so embarrassed!
    DL started barking as soon as she saw the first dog and didn't stop until Mom put her back in the car. All the other doggies were playing and having fun and it looked like DL was going to join in but as soon as she got near a dog she started snarling.
    A nice man wanted to pet her and she let him for a second and then jumped and snarled at him!
    Teacher said they could stay but Mom said they would do more private lessons instead.
    Mom even gave her a calming treat before they left so she would be a little more mellow!
    I've heard of doggies having to retake the class before they got a diploma but never one that flunked before she started!
    Sigh!
    Again, we are praying for your safety.

    Love,
    Zeva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Zeva. I don't know where we will go. Mama has been sending Uncle Jack all the information for we pets to be transported during the storm. And what we need and we worry about our landlady and landlord who are in their nineties and live next door. We don't know if they will be able to evacuate and we might have to help them.
    It sure is scary.
    I'd be like DixieLee I'm thinking. poor DixieLee! Tell her I understand. Love, Jasper.
    It's nice to be invited. Mama has family north of us. Thing is we'd have to go by Tampa and the traffic is already backed up there.

    ReplyDelete