Thursday, August 3, 2017

A Day In The Life Of This Dog

It’s four o’clock in the morning and I haven’t been fed yet! It doesn’t happen often but every once in a while Dad oversleeps and I have to wake him up to feed us.

DixieLee and I doze on the bed until he is dressed for outside and then follow him to the back door to be let into the pen. When we come back inside, our breakfast is waiting in our bowls. We get fed half of our food in the morning, a snack at lunch and the other half in the evening so it doesn’t take all that long to finish.

We always get desert, even at breakfast. Unlike Mom, who has to be reminded about desert, Dad has the cookie jar open and our desert ready.

Then Dad goes to get his newspaper and we go back to sleep until Mom gets up. Mom is in charge of giving DixieLee her itchy pills (I get a lick of peanut butter too) and we both get a scoop of coconut oil. We like coconut oil and it does lots of good things like keep our coats shiny.

That’s the way we start every day but then our routine changes depending on the day.

Sunday is our bestest favorite because if the weather is nice we always go for a big walk or a ride in the car. We like to go for big walks everyday but we don’t get to decide. We try to let Mom know we want to walk by leading her to where our leashes are hung. We know she understands and some times she listens but not always.

Some days we hang out in the office while Mom works on her computer or in the Studio while she makes gift baskets. Those are good days because she take breaks and plays games with us. When Mom does work away from home, we hang out with Dad while he plays in the garden or on the lawn.

DixieLee and I spend lots of time napping or lying on the big bed watching the birds and squirrels play in the yard or playing with our toys in the living room.

After supper we usually lie on the couch and watch TV with Mom and Dad until it’s time for bed. Night time is an important time since it is the dog's job to guard the house while our humans sleep.

DixieLee and I divide guard duty so that one of us is always sleeping on the bed. We switch off until almost morning and then both of us sleep on the bed until four o’clock when we start our day all over again.

It’s a good life and having a structure is nice because it makes us feel safe and we know exactly when we are going to eat which is the mostest important thing.

Now, I see it is time for a nap.

Your friend,
Zeva

P.S.  Blatant self-promotion.  For the bestest pet gift baskets in the universe, go to pawpalsboutique.com


3 comments:

  1. Wow, Zeva, you and DixieLee have a pawtastic day.
    Mama says that my day is boring compared to yours.
    Well, we've had storms that have brought down branches and limbs and we've been cleaning up the yard when we go out so I'm not too bored right now.
    And tomorrow is bath day. Not looking forward to that much.
    I have to have coconut oil, too.
    I take a cosequin everyday and when storms are expected, I get a calming treat.
    Mama gets me out at least four times a day. We can't take long walks because she can't walk far, but I do get to check out the neighborhood when the cement isn't too hot.
    I'm glad we didn't miss your blog.
    Love Jasper (Meeko and Joshua, too)
    Do you know that 3milliondogs is down again?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jasper, you have a very important job at your house and I am sure you do it well.
    No baths for me!!!! I don't even like to go outside when the grass is wet. I do a good enough job keeping myself clean without having to go into a bath.
    Mom is thinking I may need cosequin too. Last night when that naughty neighbor set off more firecrackers and I got scared, she had to help me get on the bed and felt my bones rub.
    We get calming treats for storms too but sometimes not in enough time to help until the storm is here. We can hear storms before Mom.
    We miss 3MillionDogs but it is our fault because it is not as easy to get to as it was before so we don't go on very often.
    Don't computer people know that old people (and dogs) don't like when they changes things?
    Today we are helping watch Dad play with the lawn. He likes it better now that he has a little car that he drives around instead of having to chase the noisy mower.
    You all take care and tell your Mom we hope she is feeling good.
    Love
    Zeva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Zeva. Sometimes the storms come on us too soon, too. The other day, Mama got out of bed and it was already storming. Now she watches the weather site and sees if their is a storm expected and gives me a calming treat as close to that time as she can.
    Mama has to go for a stress test if her insurance approves it. She has some angina. Not good.
    Mama gave me my bath and was proud of how good I was today. :)
    Yes, 3 million dogs and cats are giving all of us fits. I wonder if we growl and look scary, they might straighten out their act. Heehee.
    Great to bark with you again. Love and miss you.
    Love, Jasper

    ReplyDelete