Saturday, March 10, 2012

What If Your Human Gets Lost?

I go almost everywhere with my humans.  When we go for walks, I have to stay on my leash even if I don't like to because they don't want me to get in trouble.  We live where there are lots of woods but I have to stay in my fenced in yard. Mom says it's because she doesn't want to get lost from me.
Every day we go on FaceBook and read about dogs that got lost and we try to help them find their ways home.
According the ASPCA "Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state."
How awful!
I have a microchip.  Do you? Did you know that even if you have a microchip, it can't help you unless your humans remember to register it?  We were talking with our friend the town dog officer and he said that sometimes when he scans for a chip on a dog he has found, he finds the chip but it's not registered so he can't contact the people and let them know their dog is safe.  When you get your microchip, your humans get all kinds of paperwork that tells them how to make sure you are registered.  I know my Mom keeps the telephone number for the place I am registered at in my "important papers" box in the drawer near our telephone.
Also remember to wear all of your tags when you go out.  Your rabies vaccination tag and your town license tag can also help humans find your lost family.
I hope your humans never get lost from you but if they do, make sure you have evertything you need to get them home safely.
Your friend,
Zeva

No comments:

Post a Comment