Wednesday, July 12, 2017

So Many Choices!

We were in the Vet’s office last week for my annual check up and it was really busy. While waiting our turn, we met a bunch of dogs and a cat who looked and acted just like Grumpy Cat. All the dogs knew to stay away from him!

One of the dogs we met was a Mini Pin and another was a Shih Tzu. When one of the Moms asked Mom what breed I was, she said I am an All American. She said DixieLee is an All American too. That confused me cuz DixieLee and I don’t look anything alike. I look mostly like a Lab and she looks mostly like a Hound.

I tried looking up All American on Google and although I found out that there are over 300 breeds of dogs recognized by dog groups like the FCI.. I didn’t find All American on any of the lists.

What I did find was that the breeds are broken down into ten groups according to the breed’s purpose/function and appearance/size. Dogs in the Sporting group were bred to hunt while dogs in the Working group were bred to do things like pull a sled. Dogs in the Toy group were bred mostly for companionship but don’t be fooled, they can be very protective and their yappie bark can scare away a burglar as well as a big dog’s bark.

With so many breeds to choose from, how is a human supposed to know what dog is best for them? Mom said she chose me because I looked like a little angel. Both of the dogs who lived with Mom and Dad before me had just got died and she said that they sent her an angel.  She said they played a trick on her because I am not always a little angel.

The best way for a human to choose a dog is to think about their lifestyle. Even though they may not need a dog to hunt or pull a sled, they might want a dog from one of those groups if they like to spend time outdoors doing things like hiking or snowshoeing. If they live in an apartment in a big city, they might want a dog that doesn’t take up too much room and who can be carried when they go outside.

If you know someone who is thinking of adding a pet to their household, please ask them to check shelters and rescue services first. Shelters get pure bred dogs too and there are breed specific rescue services. Just check on line. If you know someone who wants to buy from a breeder, tell then to make sure they are honest and have a good reputation.

Also remember that lots of pet stores deal with puppy mills and those are TERRIBLE places for dogs.

One thing I can tell you from personal experience, All Americans are a terrific breed. We come in lots of different colors and sizes and we are all extra special in our own way.

Your All American friend,

Zeva

P.S. Blatant self-promotion. Know of a household getting a new dog or cat? Send them a To The Rescue or Kit Kat Kit. You can find them at pawpalsboutique.com



No comments:

Post a Comment